Skip to main content
Risky Business
By Paul Semenza

Andrew Palmer (“In Defense of Financial Innovation,“financial ingenuity reaches far beyond Wall Street” and that “innovative financiers are currently helping solve an array of socioeconomic problems.” He describes many of these financiers’ innovative approaches, such as social-impact bonds. But he neglects to mention that most of these innovations were created outside of retail and investment banks. Palmer should question why this is the case, but he does not.
Palmer claims that there is something inherently destabilizing about housing markets. Not so. Pre-crisis instability can be attributed to the process of securitization, whereby real estate debt was converted into financial instruments that concealed risk. Palmer likewise neglects to indicate that some of the key causes of the crisis involved practices in the so-called shadow banking sector, which was ineffectively regulated, in part due to lobbying by financial institutions. These activities were profit driven, not attempts to offer new products or services to the market. The record is clear that this behavior was anything but “a search for safety as well as profit,” as Palmer contends. 
PAUL SEMENZA, Santa Clara, California

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

hi great gamers on my worled  ⇲ follow me on my blogspot  ⇏ we have apower  ↬ stedy to fun 
HOW can change my life ! 7 Little Habits That Can Change Your Life, and How to Form Them “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”  – Aristotle POST WRITTEN BY  LEO BABAUTA . FOLLOW ME ON  TWITTER . If you could just pick one or two (or seven) habits to create in the next few months — habits that will have the most impact on your life — what would they be? I often get asked this question, because people are overwhelmed when it comes to starting positive life changes. They ask me: what one or two habits should they start with? It’s not an easy question. There are so many changes I’ve gone through, from quitting smoking to simplifying my life to reducing debt to many more. And they’ve all seemed life-changing, and they’ve all seemed important. But if I were to start again, and had to pick one or two, it would be the one or two listed below. The list that follows is in order of what I think I’d do the first 6-7 months of changing my l